Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Austin Wind Sculpture Artist

I live in a subdivision where every house is simply a copy of the one next door. That is why I have been looking for a kinetic wind sculpture to set my house apart from the others. My only requirements were that it be made by an Austin artist because I believe in supporting abstract artists in the community and it couldn't upset the HOA. Never seen the type of art I'm talking about? Click here for an example.

wind sculptures

Finding Sculptures for Sale

Obviously, wind sculptures are not commonly sold in stores so I knew that I would have to look in unique locations. Thankfully, Austin is home to numerous arts and crafts festivals where local artists are able to sell everything from woodwork to handmade jewelry and whimsical household items.

austin artist

The first festival had many beautiful pieces of unique art to choose from, but none of them really jumped out at me. A few weeks later, a fall festival was being held at a nearby park, Although it was raining, I decided to try my look.

kinetic wind sculptures

Then I Found It

While maneuvering my way through the puddles of water, I happened to see several wind sculptures out of the corner of my eye. The minute I entered the tent, I saw an absolutely stunning sculpture that I knew I had to have. It was large, but not too big. It was constructed from metal and an amazing array of colored glass and moved in a clockwise pattern. I knew that it would be the perfect addition to my front yard.

modern artist

Meeting the Sculpture Artist

I approached the lady running the booth and introduced myself. I let her know that I thought the sculpture was gorgeous and that I definitely wanted to buy it. After she explained she was the artist, I had to complement her on her amazing talent. However, I also had a few questions regarding how safe it was and what type of maintenance would need to be done to ensure it would maintain its appearance.

sculpture artists

Maintaining Your Wind Sculpture

She explained that the stand would need to placed approximately two feet into the ground. When mounted correctly, the sculpture was extremely safe, could handle winds up to 80 mph, and it was almost impossible for it to be damaged by the weather.

sculptures for sale

This was because she had sealed the bearings and constructed the axle from half-inch stainless steel. I learned that there is no maintenance involved. It could be left outdoors year round.

unique art
       
The next weekend my husband and I put it in the yard and it looks amazing. It moves even when there is only the slightest hint of wind in the air. As it turns, it casts complex geometric shapes over the yard.

wind art

The glittering glass absolutely shines when it is hit by the sun. I love everything about my wind sculpture, but especially the fact it is a gorgeous piece of modern art that sets my house apart from the others.

abstract artists


No comments:

Post a Comment